Thanks to our unwavering commitment to economic freedom and opportunity, Texas continues to be the best state to live, work, and raise a family.
Texas leads the nation as an economic powerhouse, adding nearly one million jobs over the last four years, setting record lows for unemployment, and attracting more people and more corporate expansion and relocation projects than any other state.
At the outset of the 86th Legislative Session, we laid out a bold agenda to address the issues that matter most to the people of Texas.
Having achieved these priorities and more, Texas is on a path toward an even brighter and more prosperous future.
All of this we can do. All of this we must do. Because we live in the greatest state in America, and we have an obligation to make it even better.
The Texas economy is stronger when we increase economic freedom for all Texans. In the latest legislative session, we worked to reduce the burden of government and expand economic opportunity by:
- Limiting the ability for local governments to increase property taxes
- Providing lasting property tax relief and increasing taxpayer power in the property appraisal process
- Improving opportunities for job creation through licensing reform
- Reducing regulatory hurdles that stifle economic growth
Providing Texas students with a quality education is vital to their future and to the future of our state. This legislative session, we reformed the school finance system to ensure that the next generation has the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, college, and a career. We have elevated the Texas education system by:
- Investing more State funding and prioritizing spending in the classroom
- Increasing teacher pay and establishing merit-based pay programs
- Creating a funding structure based on student need, not zip code
- Instituting new strategies to improve reading comprehension
- Expanding access to full-day Pre-K for students in need
Our top priority is the safety and security for the citizens of Texas. This legislative session, we made improvements to keep our schools and communities safe. These accomplishments include:
- Enhancing Texas’ capabilities to fight human and sex trafficking
- Providing resources to tackle the rape kit backlog and secure justice for victims
- Strengthening emergency preparedness and hardening our schools
- Improving access to mental health care
This legislative session, we took action to keep Texas the greatest state in America and to ensure an even better future. We achieved this by:
- Developing better strategies to respond to and mitigate the impact of natural disasters
- Supporting our veterans and military families and communities
- Protecting free speech on college campus
- Securing medical care for babies born alive after attempted abortions
- Preserving the freedoms that make Texas a place of boundless opportunity