- Requires submission and approval of building plans and site inspections of:
- Government-funded buildings constructed or renovated after January 1, 1970;
- State-leased buildings after January 1, 1972;
- Privately-funded public accommodations built or renovated after January 1, 1992 (includes buildings such as hotels/motels, restaurants, theaters, auditoriums, shopping centers, sales/rental establishments, transportation terminals, museums, parks, schools, day-care centers, and gyms); and
- Privately-funded commercial buildings built or renovated after September 1, 1993.
- Does not apply to buildings owned, leased, or operated by the federal government. Such buildings are subject to the federal Architectural Barriers Act of 1968, which requires federal buildings to be accessible.
- Requires architects, interior designers, landscape architects, or engineers to submit plans for new construction or substantial renovation totaling $50,000 or more to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) not later than the fifth day after the professional issues the plans.
- Requires building owners who are not utilizing such professionals for construction or substantial alteration to submit plans within 30 days of the date when the construction or modification begins.
- Provides that a local governmental entity cannot issue a building construction permit without proof that the building owner has filed a plan with TDLR.
- Provides customers with specific medical conditions may use employee-only restrooms in a retail establishment lacking public restrooms under certain conditions.
- Texas Architectural Barriers Act:
Texas Government Code: Chapter 469
- Architectural Barriers Regulations:
Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 68
- Restroom Access:
Texas Health and Safety Code, Subchapter D, Section 341.069
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Architectural Barriers Section
(877) 278-0999; TDLR Main: (512) 463-3211
Technical Assistance: email@example.com
Relevant Federal Laws
Americans with Disabilities Act:
U.S. Department of Justice
(800) 514-0301; (800) 514-0383 (TTY)
Architectural Barriers Act:
U.S. Access Board
(800) 872-2253; (800) 993-2822 (TTY)