- Permits the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services to cooperate with the Social Security Administration to determine whether an individual qualifies for Social Security benefits based on a disability.
- Provides disability retirement benefits for State employees and teachers.
- Provides medical assistance to certain people with disabilities under the Medicaid program.
- Provides that Retail Electric Customers may apply for a “critical care” designation if an interruption or suspension of electric service will create a dangerous or life-threatening condition.
- The Texas Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Program assists individuals and families in saving private funds for the purpose of supporting individuals with disabilities to maintain health, independence, and quality of life.
- Disability Determination:
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 111.053
- Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services:
Texas Government Code, Section 531.001(4)
- Employee Retirement:
Texas Government Code, Sections 814.201 - 814.211
Texas Human Resources Code, Chapter 32
- Critical Care
Texas Administrative Code, Tit le 16, Part 2, Chapter 25, Rule 25.497
- Texas Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Program:
Texas Education Code, Section 54.901
- Finding Help in Texas
Relevant Federal Laws
Social Security Administration (SSA)