Accounts Payable Accountant (Accountant III)
Job #: 2023-01
- TWC Job #: 15537134
- Opening Date: 9/01/2022
- Travel Required: NA
- Monthly Salary: $3,333.33 - $4,167.00/mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B17
- Class: 1016
Veterans, Reservists or members of the Guard can compare this position to military occupations (MOS) at the Texas State Auditor's Office.
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
Only interviewed applicants will receive notice of the final disposition of the selection process.
OOG employees applying for a position in the same pay group, if selected, will be laterally transferred with a maximum increase in salary of 3.4%.
- Defined Retirement Benefit Plan.
- Optional 401(k) and 457 accounts.
- Medical Insurance - State pays 100% of the health plan premium for eligible full-time employees and 50% of the premium for their eligible dependents. State pays 50% of the eligible part-time employee’s premium and 25% for eligible dependents.
- Optional Benefits such as dental, vision, and life insurance.
- 8 hours sick leave per month and 8 hours vacation leave per month with potential to earn more with longevity. Part-time employee’s hours are proportional with no longevity.
- Telework Program – telework opportunities are available upon request. Reliable internet is required. Alternate work schedules and telework may be discussed with the hiring manager during the interview process.
The Accounts Payable Accountant works within the Office of the Governor (OOG), Financial Services Division, and reports to the Director of Financial Services. Performs moderately complex (journey-level) accounting work, which includes preparing and processing payment vouchers in accordance with Comptroller’s Prompt Payment Act and OOG’s standard accounting policies and procedures. Responsible for verifying that all necessary and required supporting documentation is available for all purchase of goods/services. Interacts with staff, governmental agencies, and the public. Develops professional working relationships with internal and external customers. Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Supports all functions performed within the Financial Services Division.
- Prepares/processes OOG payment vouchers. Ensures all required and proper documentation is attached and verifiable.
- Reconciles and processes OOG’s monthly procurement card with Citibank.
- Processes disaster grants, all incentive disbursements, and monthly contract service invoices.
- Reconciles and processes monthly Department of Information Resources (DIR) bills.
- Processes Events Trust Fund and Governor’s University Research Initiative payment requests.
- Reviews loan contracts for Product Development and Small Business Incubator Funds (PDSBI) and Enterprise Fund and processes monthly DIR bills.
- Processes invoices for the Public Safety Office (PSO) and ensures the proper allocation is used to charge federal and state funds.
- Contracts vendors to resolve outstanding billing issues.
- Answers incoming phone lines; routes calls; assists visitors in the division.
- Receives, date-stamps, records, and distributes incoming mail and invoices.
- Receives, records, and ensures the safekeeping of cash/checks.
- Performs accurate data entry in financial systems.
- Updates the internal tracking system for the status of travel and purchase requisitions.
- Maintains filing of both paper and electronic documents.
- Coordinates records retention functions for the division.
- Ensures copiers, printers, and fax machines are operational. Submits work order requests as necessary. Maintains office supply inventory.
- Assists in the compilation of financial reports.
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Financial Services as needed.
- Processes daily APC report in FIS and distributes checks/direct deposits remittances to vendors.
- May assist in providing training to other Accounts Payable staff.
- May assist in the peer review of vouchers processed by Accounts Payable Staff.
- May assist in processing and auditing travel vouchers.
- Maintains regular work schedule.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting, finance or a related field; and
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
Note: Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) will substitute for two (2) years of experience.
Accounting experience using the Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of accounting records.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, preferably of Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS), Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS).
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, preferably of Excel, Word, and Access.
- Skill in the use of office equipment, including the use of a calculator.
- Skill in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to review work for accuracy.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to interpret and apply accounting procedures to transactions.
Registration, Certification or Licensure
Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 20 Ibs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, set up conference rooms for meetings, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate data in a variety of formats, including hard copy, electronic and media formats. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
How to Apply
Applications are received only through Work In Texas. The OOG requires all sections of the state application to be completed. Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application. Requests for accommodation should be made to the Human Resources office as early as possible in the application/employment process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit www.sss.gov. View a copy of the Agency's Equal Employment Opportunity Utilization Report.
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should email the OOG’s Reasonable Accommodation Program Manager or call 512-463-8315 in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.
Contact Human Resources