Governor Abbott Statement On Texas’ Continued Export Dominance
Governor Greg Abbott today issued a statement following the release of international trade data by the U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis highlighting Texas’ continued export dominance.
“The Lone Star State continues to lead the nation in exports because of our greatest natural resource — innovative and hardworking Texans,” said Governor Abbott. “When given the freedom to grow, businesses flourish, jobs are created, and opportunity expands for all Texans. As Governor, I will continue to make strategic investments in education and workforce development to position Texas as the global hub for commerce and trade — and the undisputed center for innovation and intellectual capital.”
- Texas is again the top state for exports, for the 17th year in a row.
- Texas is again the top state for tech exports, now for six consecutive years.
- Texas exports account for nearly 20 percent of all U.S. exports.
- Texas exports in 2018 totaled more than $315 billion — a record breaker for the Lone Star State, and up nearly 20 percent from the prior year.
- Total Texas exports are nearly double that of California.
And according to U.S. Small Business Administration data, more than 9 in 10 Texas exporting companies are small businesses.