- Establishes tests and minimum passing standards for enrollment in public institutions of higher education and requires provision of developmental education for individuals who do not pass.
- Provides tuition exemptions at public institutions of higher education for students who are blind or deaf.
- Provides tuition and fee exemptions at public institutions for the following:
- Children of persons who acquire disabilities in the line of duty as firemen, peace officers, game wardens, or employees of correctional institutions.
- Children of certain military personnel who are totally disabled.
- Children of certain volunteer peace officers who are killed or disabled in the line of duty.
- Individuals who acquire disabilities in the line of duty as a peace officer.
- Requires a college textbook publisher to provide a public college or university an electronic copy of a textbook as requested by students who are blind or have dyslexia.
- Allows students of public institutions of higher education to count credit received in an American Sign Language course toward satisfaction of a foreign language requirement of that institution.
- Allows a person's teaching obligation under a Teach for Texas Alternative Certification Assistance Program to be cancelled if the recipient acquires a permanent disability and is no longer able to teach.
- Provides that an institution of higher learning may not reassess a student with dyslexia in order to assess the student's need for accommodations until the institution reevaluates the information from the student's previous assessments.
Relevant Federal Laws
The Rehabilitation Act, Section 504
Transitioning from High School to College (PDF)
(get free Adobe Reader)