Child Sex Trafficking - Heal
Trafficking survivors often experience complex trauma and a loss of self-identify as well as serious financial and healthcare issues. These difficulties create barriers to securing safe and stable housing as well as educational and career advances.
Complex trauma takes a lifetime of healing. Lengthy periods of stability can be interrupted by a triggering event that re-traumatizes and provokes relapse. But according to experts, each relapse is an opportunity to learn to combat triggers and grow stronger.
It takes time because you have been deeply defined by someone with power and control over you — you feel powerless.
CSTT’s goal is to empower survivors.
CSTT is leveraging, developing and funding services beyond crisis stabilization and treatment, helping survivors to develop the internal resilience and external resources needed to avoid and manage triggers and rebound from relapse episodes.
CSTT has several strategies to shift the focus from surviving to thriving, including:
- Equipping all stakeholders to provide victim-centered, trauma informed responses and ongoing services;
- Building capacity within child welfare and juvenile justice systems to serve victims;
- Developing community services for victims;
- Developing a variety of placements youth can access when needed.
These essential services are offered through a continuum of care in each of five regions: North, South, East, West and Central Texas.
- National Human Trafficking Referral Directory
- Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center
- Office on Trafficking in Persons
- Office for Victims of Crime: Human Trafficking
Programs Supported by Grants from the Office of the Governor
- DFPS Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation Team
- Roadmap for Texas Communities to Address Child Sex Trafficking. The Roadmap provides research, emerging practices, lessons learned, and resources for communities to effectively engage in the fight against child sex trafficking and align themselves with statewide strategies and goals.
Specialized Foster Care Programs
Specialized foster care projects that can provide trauma-informed placements and services for child sex trafficking victims.
- Arrow Child & Family Ministries (Harris)
- El Paso Center for Children (El Paso)
- Hope Rising (Washington County)
Long-Term Residential Programs
Residential treatment programs that provide survivors with trauma-responsive case management, wraparound services, and 24-hour clinical and behavioral crisis services.