Communications Specialist (Information Specialist IV)
Trabajo No.: 2023-23
- No. de trabajo TWC: 15626449
- Fecha de apertura: 10/19/2022
- Requiere viajar: 30%
- Salario mensual: $4,670.00-$5,250.00/mo
- Ubicación de puesto: Austin, Texas
- Paso de grupo: B21
- Clase: 1833
Veterans, Reservists or members of the Guard can compare this position to military occupations (MOS) at the Texas State Auditor's Office.
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
Only interviewed applicants will receive notice of the final disposition of the selection process.
OOG employees applying for a position in the same pay group, if selected, will be laterally transferred with a maximum increase in salary of 3.4%.
- Defined Retirement Benefit Plan.
- Optional 401(k) and 457 accounts.
- Medical Insurance - State pays 100% of the health plan premium for eligible full-time employees and 50% of the premium for their eligible dependents. State pays 50% of the eligible part-time employee’s premium and 25% for eligible dependents
- Optional Benefits such as dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave that accrues from your first day worked
- Longevity pay.
- Confidential and personalized Employee Assistance Program services
- Telework Program – telework opportunities are available upon request. Reliable internet is required. Alternate work schedules and telework may be discussed with the hiring manager during the interview process
The Communications Specialist works within the Office of the Governor, Economic Development & Tourism Office (EDT) and reports to the Director of Tourism. Performs advanced (senior-level) informational and communications work required for the promotion of Texas as a premier travel destination. Work involves overseeing the research, writing, editing, and production of content and materials for release to various communications media (news, print, digital, and/or social media) and for use by the agency, the public, and the travel industry. Position coordinates tourism public relations activities in the U.S. market and other markets as assigned. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Leads development and implementation of unified agency reporting standards across domestic and international markets. Collaborates with Tourism market leads and vendors as appropriate.
- Responsible for management of activities with contracted vendors.
- Coordinates the preparation and distribution of organization publications, news and informational releases, talking points and scripts, advisories, newsletters, facts sheets, presentations, reports, and content for websites and social media.
- Develops, plans, and implements domestic public relations and consumer communication campaigns. Supports the dissemination of domestic public relations campaigns in international markets as appropriate.
- Leads social media strategy development and execution for the domestic and select international markets. Manages social media development in emerging markets as applicable.
- Develops, plans, and implements domestic social media campaigns. Supports the dissemination of domestic social media campaigns in international markets as appropriate.
- Coordinates with advertising in the distribution and implementation of public relations, consumer campaigns, and social media activities where appropriate on consumer website and where advertising and public relations and social media activities coincide.
- Analyzes reports on domestic public relations and social media activity and its effectiveness. Provides guidance on effective methods of communication marketing strategies and activities.
- Serves as Tourism program liaison with media.
- Liaises with Texas travel industry stakeholders and partners, to include Texas state agencies and other EDT programs, in the development and distribution of program public relations, consumer campaigns, social media marketing, and other related materials.
- Assists in developing, planning and implementing unified program messaging across domestic and international markets. Collaborates with Tourism market leads and vendors as appropriate.
- Manages the development and implementation of special events and activities. These may include but are not limited to: media missions, speeches, press conferences, interviews, meetings, promotions, and consumer educational events.
- Develops, writes, and distributes the Travel Texas industry newsletter to Texas travel industry stakeholders.
- Promotes public relations programs to Texas travel industry stakeholders to coordinate, improve, and stimulate interest and participation in agency programs.
- Manages development of industry website content as appropriate including editorial, illustrative, photographic or audiovisual content. Works with other program areas as needed to develop and implement website content from program areas.
- Manages the development and distribution of agency news and Texas travel information as appropriate for media and the travel industry in domestic and international markets.
- Routinely reads, edits, interprets, and composes press releases, presentations, reports and special publications, including collateral and advertorial copy. Analyzes travel market studies to inform the direction of public relations activities.
- Prepares and conducts speeches, press conferences, presentations or meetings.
- Prepares and conducts interviews, researches sources, and ensures the completeness and accuracy of printed and online materials.
- Responsible for lead fulfillment and distribution to travel industry stakeholder groups.
- Responds to travel industry stakeholder inquiries about the Tourism program and activities.
- Maintains regular work schedule.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in journalism, public relations, advertising, communications, tourism or related field; and
- Four (4) years of experience in travel and tourism promotion, journalism, public relations, public information, communications, or media relations work.
Note: Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
- Knowledge of social media and other channels of media communication.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Skill in public relations.
- Skill in managing projects and planning large events.
- Skill in editing documents and designing printed materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively to groups through either practiced or extemporaneous oral presentations.
- Ability to use a personal computer in a Window software environment to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Acrobat
- Ability to use website software.
- Ability to exercise initiative and creativity.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluates alternatives, and implements effective solutions.
- Ability to review and evaluate tourism data.
- Ability to present information in a concise and organized manner.
- Ability to coordinate multiple large projects simultaneously.
- Ability to interpret and follow State of Texas regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to routinely record information such as draft correspondence, reports, documents, policies, procedures, conduct interviews and record information, or prepare other lengthy documents using handwritten or mechanical means.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to travel under normal conditions for long distances.
Registration, Certification or Licensure
Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 20 Ibs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, set up conference rooms for meetings, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate data in a variety of formats, including hard copy, electronic and media formats. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
How to Apply
Applications are received only through Work In Texas. The OOG requires all sections of the state application to be completed. Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application. Requests for accommodation should be made to the Human Resources office as early as possible in the application/employment process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit www.sss.gov. View a copy of the Agency's Equal Employment Opportunity Utilization Report.
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should email the OOG’s Reasonable Accommodation Program Manager or call 512-463-8315 in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.
Contact Human Resources