Event Trust Funds Program
The Event Trust Funds program is comprised of three separate funds—the Events Trust Fund, Major Events Reimbursement Program, and Motor Sports Racing Trust Fund—targeted at attracting various types of events to the State of Texas. The Funds can assist Texas communities with paying costs related to preparing for or conducting an event by depositing projected gains in various local and state taxes generated from the event in a dedicated event-specific trust fund to cover allowable expenses.
Updates to Suspensions and Waivers Related to COVID-19 for Events Trust Fund Program (“ETF”) and Major Events Reimbursement Program (“MERP”) submission deadlines:
In May 2020, statutory suspensions and regulatory waivers were granted to provide flexibility for application and review deadlines for ETF and MERP events in response to the COVID-19 disaster. On March 25, 2021, these suspensions and waivers were updated to account for the codification of a portion of Vernon’s Texas Civil Statutes into Chapters 478 and 480 of the Government Code, which will govern MERP and ETF, respectively, as of April 1, 2021. These updated suspensions and waivers will terminate on September 1, 2021. For any event scheduled on or after September 1, 2021, these suspensions and waivers will not apply and applicants must comply with the deadlines in Chapters 478 or 480 of the Government Code, as applicable.
Who Can Apply?
A municipality, county, or non-profit local organizing committee endorsed by a Texas municipality or county which has been selected to host a qualified event, if the event location in that Texas municipality or county was selected through a highly competitive process by an independent site selection committee which considered other out-of-state locations.
Type of Incentive
Event-specific trust funds created to help pay for qualified expenses associated with an event, to which both the state and applicant must contribute. The state’s contribution may not exceed the projected increase in state sales and use, auto rental, hotel and alcoholic beverage taxes generated as a result of the qualified event during the specified event period or “economic impact window” (window varies by type of trust fund). Applicants must contribute $1 in local tax gains for every $6.25 the state contributes to the fund. Events Trust Fund grant awards are disbursed on a reimbursement basis following a review by the Governor’s Office of submitted costs after the completion of the qualified event. One-hundred percent of allowable expenses may be funded, provided sufficient tax receipts are deposited in the trust fund. The program is funded through event-generated tax increase; there is no maximum or minimum amount of funds available.
Eligibility criteria vary for the three types of event trust funds. For information most relevant to the type of event for which you are considering applying, please view the ETF Guidelines.
The application period is rolling, however some events have specific submission time requirements. Please review the Overview document for trust-fund specific windows.
Eligible applicants should review the Guidelines document before applying to the program. Applicants must submit a complete application packet during the application window to be considered for the program.
- Events Trust Fund Application
- Estimated Attendance Chart for Application
- Events Affidavit of Endorsing Entity
- Events Affidavit for Economic Impact
- Events Attendance Certification Example
- Local Share Instructions
- Events Trust Fund Disbursement Request Form
- Disbursement Worksheet
- ETF Guidelines
- Events Trust Fund Award Database (as of June 30, 2021)
- Statute: Texas Government Code:
- Texas Administrative Code
Below are the post event economic impact studies completed by the Office of the Governor.
- 2019 Big 12 Football Conference Championship Game Report
- 2019 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix
- 2019 Red Bull Grand Prix
- 2019 O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 NASCAR Race Weekend
- 2018-2019 National Cutting Horse Association Triple Crown
- 2018 Red Bull Grand Prix
- 2018 O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 NASCAR Race Weekend
- 2018 NCAA Final Four
- 2017-18 NCHA Triple Crown
- 2017 NCAA Women Final Four Post Event Report
- 2017 Super Bowl LI
- 2017 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix
- 2017 O'Reilly Auto Parts 500 NASCAR Race Weekend
- 2017 Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas
- 2016-17 NCHA Triple Crown
- 2016 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix
- 2016 AAU Junior Olympic Games
- 2016 Duck Commander 500 NASCAR Race Weekend
- 2016 Elite Rodeo Association World Championships
- 2016 FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix
- 2016 X Games
- 2015 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix
- 2015 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision National Championship
- 2015 Duck Commander 500 NASCAR Race Weekend
- 2015 ESPN X Games
Below are the post event economic impact studies conducted by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.