Governor’s University Research Initiative (GURI)
The Governor’s University Research Initiative grant program (GURI) was enacted in 2015 by the 84th Legislature with a goal to bring the best and brightest researchers in the world to Texas. This program is a matching grant program to assist eligible institutions of higher education in recruiting distinguished researchers. The GURI grant program is operated within the Office of the Governor (“OOG”) in the Economic Development and Tourism Division.
To be eligible to apply for a grant award, an applicant eligible institution must meet all basic qualifying criteria, including but not limited to, the following:
- An applicant must be an eligible institution;
- The researcher proposed for recruitment must meet all the eligibility requirements necessary to qualify as a distinguished researcher;
- The applicant and researcher meet the requirements of the applicable provisions of Chapter 62, Subchapter H of the Education Code; and
- The grant application has the support of the applicant institution's president and of the institution's governing board, the chair of the institution's governing board, or the chancellor of the University System if the applicant institution is a component of a University System.
A “distinguished researcher” is a researcher who is:
- A Nobel Laureate or the recipient of an equivalent honor; or
- A member of a national honorific society, such as the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the National Academy of Medicine or an equivalent honorific organization.
The GURI program is codified in Chapter 62 of the Texas Education Code, Subchapter H and the program's administrative rules may be found in Title 10, Part 5, Chapter 190 of the Texas Administrative Code.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis from eligible institutions with a proposed grant match commitment amount of $5 million or less per distinguished researcher.
“We are beginning the process of elevating higher education in Texas to greater heights than it’s ever been before. Through our Governor’s University Research Initiative, Texas is making a strategic investment to vault the standings of our public colleges and universities into the top-ranked nationally. Our investment into GURI will help our universities recruit even more Nobel Laureates and National Academy members to the Lone Star State, and will serve as a catalyst for further economic development.” -Governor Greg Abbott