Texas Film Preservation Round-Up Tours
The Texas Film Round-Up is a traveling media preservation and education program. The Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI) and the Texas Film Commission host Round-Ups across the state, giving Texans an opportunity to submit their films for the free digitization program and learn about Texas media history and preservation.
The Texas Film Round-Up March 10, 2022
The Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI), in partnership with the Office of the Governor’s Texas Film Commission (TFC), will host a free screening featuring Dallas-produced sales films, television commercials and other vintage videos at the Texas Theatre (231 Jefferson Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75208) on Thursday, March 10, 2022, at 7 p.m. Mavericks and (M)ad Men will feature materials included in the recently released Google Arts & Culture exhibit of the same name as well as additional Dallas-related highlights from TAMI’s collections. TAMI will also be accepting film and videotape submissions for the Texas Film Round-Up free digitization program before and after the screening, from 6-9PM.
To qualify for free digitization, the films and videotapes must be Texas related, and participants must be willing to donate a digital copy of their materials to the program.
- Films must be formatted in Super 8, 8 mm, or 16 mm. Videos must be in VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS, Beta-SP, Betamax, Digibeta, ¾” U-matic tapes, Hi-8 tapes, 8mm tapes, and mini-DV cassettes.
- Films or videos must be Texas-related (filmed in Texas, filmed by a Texan, feature a Texan or the subject matter is about Texas).
- Contributions must be submitted by the copyright holder, who grants permission for the films/videos to be shared by the Texas Archive of the Moving Image and the Texas Film Commission, free from copyright, or the donor must be willing to grant Texas Archive of the Moving Image and the Texas Film Commission a license for use ( i.e. donor is or donor represents the copyright holder).
- No more than 50 film reels or 3,500 feet of film whichever is less, and 10 videotapes may be contributed per household.
Additional Activities at Round-Ups
- Screenings of Texas films
- TMIAP's “Preserving Memories” traveling exhibit
- Preservation workshops and demonstrations
Recent Round-Up Locations
- Laredo, TX
- Fredericksburg, TX
- Wichita Falls, TX
- Lufkin, TX
- Alpine, TX
- Fort Bend County, TX
- Beaumont, TX
- Galveston, TX
- Bastrop County, TX
- Killeen, TX
Digitization Services for a Fee
If your film or video does not meet the criteria for the Round-Up program or if you do not wish to contribute a digital copy to the archive, TAMI provides transfer services at competitive rates.
To inquire about bringing a Texas Film Round-Up to your community, please contact: