Getting Started as an Actor
Being A Film Extra
Extras, or background actors, are essential to productions. Extras are performers who fill out background scenes such as football games, parades and restaurants. They do not have speaking roles nor do they have any interaction with the lead actors of the project.
Texas Film Commission Resources
- Job Hotline - our office lists casting calls for productions currently hiring in Texas.
- To apply to a casting call in the Job Hotline, send an email to the address listed with your contact information and recent photographs. You will not be contacted by the production unless you are needed for filming. If hired, production will tell you what is expected for the role, when to report to set and where it is located. Make sure to sign a deal memo or contract that details your pay rate and dates you work (even if it is unpaid or volunteer).
- Extras Casting Directors - listed in the Texas Production Directory.
- Extras Casting Directors hire performers for productions requiring extras and maintain a casting database for future productions.
Pursuing a Career in Acting
If you’re interested in landing more substantial roles, acting schools and coaches can help you improve your skills and build a network of fellow actors. Obtaining representation by a reputable talent agent may also lead to acting opportunities.
- Acting Schools listed in the Texas Production Directory.
- Acting and Dialect / Dialogue Coaches listed in the Texas Production Directory.
- Talent Agencies listed in the Texas Production Directory.
Contact the Regional Film Commission in your area for information on additional opportunities.
Additional Online Resources
Learn more about acting in production.
A self-guided tour highlighting 25 iconic Texas film locations from some of our most classic films.
A collection of self-guided tours highlighting Texas locations used from Texas' rich and fascinating 100+ year film history.
A self-guided tour highlighting 15 filming destinations from some of the Texas filmmaker's most prolific features.