Your Music in Films

Getting Your Music into Movies, Television Shows, Commercials and Video Games

A music supervisor coordinates most of the music used in a production, including music selection, licensing of rights and recording. Many of the choices made concerning music are based on the relationship between the studio and a specific record label. For example, if a studio releases a film, the soundtrack will likely feature music by the studio’s artists.

Work on smaller projects first, network in your local area to build up your credits, and in the long run you should have an easier time attracting major projects to your work. Also, research contacts before you send material. Your chances of success are better if the material is suitable for the film subject and is received by the correct person.

Texas Film Commission and Texas Music Office Resources

Visit our Job Hotline that lists current projects working in Texas. Send a digital promo pack with samples of your work to the productions listed. Many independent films or video games do not have a budget to pay for the use of popular hits and are often interested in working with someone trying to build up their film music credits for a smaller fee.

Contact the Radio-Television-Film departments at area colleges and universities for information about film students who may need music for their projects. Also consider checking out the Multimedia Department for students that may need video art music. Art Departments may have performance art majors in need of music for dramatic and/or choreographic works.

The Texas Music Office can provide a list of advertising agencies, jingles/advertising soundtracks businesses and radio stations in Texas. As with multimedia companies, call first to determine their status on freelance work. For radio stations, contact the Sales Manager in the Advertising Department for any inquiries.

A list of Film Music Supervisors on the Texas Music Office website.

Additional Online Resources