Filming on Texas Roads

Public Right-of-Ways

Right-of-ways often extend past the road shoulder by several yards or more. If you’re filming beside a road and you’re not on private property, chances are you’re on the right-of-way. With very few exceptions, filming of public right-of-ways, must first be approved by the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

As soon as you’ve identified your intended location, call the Texas Film Commission (512) 463-9200 and we’ll guide you to the appropriate authorities.

City Roads

For street closures within a city, you will typically be working with the local film commission, the police chief or the police department’s public information officer.

County Roads

For county roads, your contact will be the local sheriff.

Interstate Highways & Farm-to-Market Roads

For interstate highways, state highways and farm-to-market roads; filming requests are handled by the Texas Department of Transportation—call the Texas Film Commission for a referral to the appropriate district officer.

Combination of Jursidications

It’s important to understand that any section of any road may be under the jurisdiction of up to three different agencies. It’s a common occurrence: an interstate highway passes through a city limit, or a city street is also an extension of a county road. In such cases, permission for filming must be obtained from each of the overseeing agencies.

Most public officials who handle road closures have worked with filmmakers before, and are familiar with the process. They typically require at least two weeks notice. It’s possible to approve a request with a shorter lead time, but depending on the complexity of your request, the more notice you provide, the better your chances for approval.