Transporting Commercial Motor Vehicles into Texas
This summary is not a complete text of Texas’ laws governing commercial motor vehicles, nor is it written in the exact language of that law. It is intended as an informal educational tool.
Transportation of commercial motor vehicles into Texas is governed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV). We recommend that you contact TxDMV as soon as possible, to satisfy all requirements before attempting to bring such equipment into Texas.
To legally enter Texas, commercial vehicles or tractor-trailer combinations weighing 26,000 pounds or more, when fully loaded, must meet all three of the following requirements:
- Register as a Motor Carrier (TxDMV Number). Motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must register their operations with the TxDMV’s Motor Carrier Division.
- Register your vehicle. Interstate operators (traveling across state lines) may participate in the International Registration Plan (IRP) and apply for Apportioned registration. Vehicles may be able to purchase a temporary registration permit as well through the TxDMV website.
- Have an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license or fuel trip permit. Interstate motor carriers are required to pay state fuel use tax and have the option to obtain an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license that provides for the consolidated reporting of fuel taxes or a fuel trip permit. The fuel trip permit costs $50.00. For information on obtaining an IFTA permit or a fuel trip permit, refer to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
Size and weight limitations in Texas
- For legal size and weight limits of commercial motor vehicles, please refer to the “Motor Carriers” portion of the TxDMV website detailing this information.
Additional Online Resources
- TxDMV Website - Motor Carriers
- TxDMV Website - “Truck Tips: A Guide for Operating Commercial Trucks in Texas”
- TxDMV Website - Register for your TxDMV Number
- TxDMV Website - Apportioned Registration / International Registration Plan (IFP)
- TxDMV Website - Temporary Permits
- Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Website - IFTA Permit
For more information about transportation of commercial motor vehicles into Texas, please contact:
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles - Motor Carrier Division
4000 Jackson Avenue
Austin, Texas 78731
888-368-4689 | 512-465-3000