Texas Films at SXSW 2018
SXSW 2018 featured more than 50 features and shorts with Texas ties. Thunder Road won the Grand Jury Award for Narrative Feature, and Daughters of the Sexual Revolution: The Untold Story of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders was award the Louis Black 'Lone Star' Award. TransMilitary was awarded the Audience Award for Documentary Feature. In the Texas categories, winners included An Uncertain Future (Texas Shorts) and The Night I Lost My Favorite Jacket and CCISD Strong (Texas High School Shorts).
Congratulations to all of the Texas-based filmmakers and Texas-made projects that premiered at SXSW 2018, and congratulations to the SXSW team on 25 years of #SXSWFilm!
- 1985 (Director/Screenwriter: Yen Tan) • Filmed in Dallas.
- Bill Murray Stories (Director Tommy Avallone) • Partially filmed in Texas.
- Blood Fest (Director/Screenwriter: Owen Egerton) • Filmed in Austin.
- Daughters of the Sexual Revolution: The Untold Story of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (Director: Dana Adam Shapiro) • Shot in Austin & Dallas.
- Friday's Child (Director A.J. Edwards) • Filmed in Austin, Balmorhea, Monohans, Presidio, Terlingua & Waco.
- Never Goin' Back (Director/Screenwriter: Augustine Frizzell) • Filmed in Dallas & Fort Worth.
- Social Animals (Director: Jonathan Ignatius Green; Screenwriters: Carol Martori, Jonathan Ignatius Green, Peter Garriott) • Filmed in Austin.
- Support the Girls (Director/Screenwriter: Andrew Bujalski) • Filmed in Austin.
- They Live Here, Now ( Director: Jason Outenreath) • Filmed in Austin.
- Thunder Road (Director/Screenwriter: Jim Cummings) • Filmed in Austin.
- TransMilitary (Directors: Gabe Silverman, Fiona Dawson) • Partially filmed in Texas.
Texas shorts/episodics were filmed in Texas, by Texans (or filmmakers currently living in Texas).
- An Uncertain Future (Directors: Iliana Sosa, Chelsea Hernandez) • Filmed in Austin.
- Caroline (Directors: Logan George, Celine Held)
- Come & Take It (Directors: Ellen Spiro, PJ Raval) • Filmed in Austin.
- Don’t Be a Hero (Director/Screenwriter: Pete Lee)
- Ghosted Featuring Kamille – ‘Get Some’ (Director/Screenwriter: Fidel Ruiz-Healy)
- Heavy Chemistry (Director/Screenwriter: Blair Rowan)
- Hold to Your Best Self (Episodic, Director: Emily Hagins)
- The Mangina Exit (Director: Byron Brown)
- Maude (Director/Screenwriter: Anna Margaret Hollyman) • Filmed in Austin.
- Nice Ass (Director: Carlyn Hudson, Screenwriter: Jeff Whitaker)
- Roadside Attraction (Directors: Patrick Bresnan, Ivete Lucas)
Texas High School Shorts
Texas high school shorts were filmed in Texas, by Texans (or filmmakers currently living in Texas).
- The Art of War (Director/Screenwriter: Cal Etcheverry)
- CCISD Strong (Director: Sofia Rasmussen)
- Confined (Director: The Zavitsanos Brothers)
- Contact (Director/Screenwriter: Lindsay Wolf)
- Escape (Directors/Screenwriters: Jada Harbin, Karina Harchandani)
- How You See Us (Director/Screenwriter: Susannah Joffe)
- Hunned Effort (Directors: Nicholas Luna, Alan Lawson)
- Kopecke (Director: C. Fears)
- Loveless (Director/Screenwriter: Weston Bering)
- Molly and Me (Directors: Colton Vanlandingham, Collin Grant, Screenwriters: Sydney Sexton, Mary Patrello, Gaby Fernandez)
- The Night I Lost My Favorite Jacket (Director/Screenwriter: Jenna Krumerman)
- Pursuit of a Dream (Director/Screenwriter: Scott Larson)
- Pursuit: 21XX (Director: Ben Phillips, Screenwriters: Ben Phillips, Billy Nguyen, Edward Nuno)
- Puzzle Pieces: Living Life on The Spectrum (Director/Screenwriter: Georgia)
- #RefugeesWelcome (Director/Screenwriter: Ramiro Cantu)
- Return Policy (Directors: Demar Gunter, Victoria Hartson; Screenwriter: Demar Gunter)
- The Risk For Freedom (Director: Alex Le)
- Roommate (Director/Screenwriter: Jinho Rhee)
- Silent Fist (Directors: Jose Martinez, Nana Achempong; Screenwriters: Jose Martinez, Nana Achempon, and Brandon Mai)
- Take a Chance (Director/Screenwriter: Weatherly Giblin)
- What It Takes (Director: Kourtney Williams)