McCarthy Building Companies
McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. is America's premier, 100% employee-owned commercial construction company. With offices nationwide, we specialize in a wide range of project types that are as diverse and wide-ranging as the communities in which we build. Our innovative teams collaborate with clients and industry partners throughout the project life cycle, starting in the earliest stages of design, throughout construction and beyond project completion.
McCarthy’s reputation for tackling the toughest building challenges starts with our focus on developing high-performing individuals and teams. We do this through our award-winning training programs, a best-in-class Total Rewards benefits program, and a focus on equipping diverse teams of employee owners through a connected and inclusive culture aligned with our values of: Genuine. We, Not I. All In.
Extended Reality (XR)
VDC ENGINEER - YARD PIPE
Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) — Houston, TX & Dallas, TX
- The VDC Engineer is responsible for task level management, implementation and execution of McCarthy’s Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Processes, Tools and Best Practices within their assigned projects. Primarily focused on supporting yard pipe self-perform. The VDC Engineer reports to the VDC Manager or next highest position.
- Task-level execution of VDC functions including BIM Execution planning, BIM Coordination, 3D modeling, 2D drawing production
- Lead technical aspect of 3D constructability and 3D Design and Trade Coordination, working in tandem with project teams to ensure standard of care and best practices are followed.
- Develop native 3D model content to support Yard Piping Self-Perform work (Pipe/Pressure Networks, Terrain)
- 2D drawing Production (Plan views, Alignments, Profiles, Profile Views, Manage Annotation Settings)
- Development of Part Catalogs for production modeling (Part Builder, Infrastructure Parts Editor)
- Generate layout points for field installation of self-perform work
- Understand and contribute to development of BIM Execution Plan attachments for tasks assigned and how those tasks relate to the overall BIM Execution Plan and project plan.
- Understand and contribute to VDC schedule development for tasks assigned, track actual completion times, and communicate progress and completion to VDC Manager for records.
- Understand and contribute to VDC budget development for tasks assigned, track actuals vs budgets, and communicate progress to VDC Manager for records.
- Conduct VDC and IVB tools/process training and support at the project-level for Engineers, Managers and Superintendents.
- Participate in VDC and IVB training for peers through various Regional training opportunities.
- Coordinate workload of VDC Interns and Co-Ops at a project-level.
- Maintain individual task VDC Metrics and verify/communicate with VDC Manager for records.
- Document VDC lessons learned and implemented practices and communicate to VDC Manager.
- Understand, and contribute as applicable to, Regional and Corporate VDC goals and initiatives.
- BS in Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture is required or equivalent years of industry experience.
- Process oriented, timely, and accountable to commitments/deadlines.
- Team builder attitude, self-motivated problem solver, active cross-communicator/facilitator.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, action oriented, and effective listener.
- Strong Skill set using AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD
- Familiarity with authoring, analysis, and scheduling tools such as Revit, Revizto, SketchUp or others where applicable.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in daily documentation programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, Bluebeam, or others where applicable.
- Strong understanding of submittals, manufacturer data sheets, existing as-built documentation and project documents.
- Technical knowledge of piping systems: general knowledge of different pipe materials, fittings, joints, standards, etc. For both gravity systems and pressure systems.
- Familiarity with construction concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Preferred familiarity with water and wastewater treatment yard pipe.
- Some regional travel required.
Opportunity posted August 21, 2023