Radio Stations in Austin Area
Area codes 512 • 737
(includes Dripping Springs, Pflugerville, Round Rock, San Marcos)
Number of Listings: 2
- P.O. Box 4089, Austin, TX 78765
- (512) 472-1369 • (512) 472-5667
- Region: Austin Area
- Genre: College/CommunityCollege Radio, Gospel/Christian, Public Radio, Rap, R&B/Hip Hop, Spanish AC, Texas Music, Conjunto, swing, German Czech
- KOOP (91.7 FM) is a 3,000-watt, noncommercial community radio station that began broadcasting in late 1994. KOOP-FM shares its frequency with KVRX-FM, The University of Texas at Austin student-run station. The KOOP studio is located at 3823 Airport Blvd., Suite B. KOOP is a community radio station owned and operated by its members. Any member of the community can apply to produce a radio program, and KOOP provides facilities and training. KOOP has about 77 different locally-produced programs airing every week, in time slots of 15, 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. Each of these programs is produced by an individual member or by a collective of members. KOOP provides a diverse array of programming, emphasizing programs that deal with local issues and/or serve communities which are under-served by the mainstream media. We generally schedule news/public affairs programming on weekdays from 1pm - 3 pm and 6pm - 7 pm and music programming at all other times during the week and on weekends. KOOP welcomes music submissions. Around the Town Sounds, Under the X in Texas hosted by Ted Branson, Country Swing and Rockabilly Jamboree hosted by Rod Moag, Pear's General Store hosted by Miss Pear, and Singer and the Song hosted by Rush Evans in particular are programs that highlight Texas music.
- P.O. Box D, Austin, TX 78713
- (512) 471-1865 • (512) 495-5879
- Region: Austin Area
- Genres: College/Community • Dance/Electronic • RockAsian, College Radio, Dance, Latin Pop, Modern Rock, News/Talk, Rap, R&B/Hip Hop, Texas Music
- KVRX (91.7 FM) "None of the Hits, All of the Time" is the 3,000-watt noncommercial student-run radio station at The University of Texas at Austin. Formerly KTSB-Cable FM, in early 1994 the station changed to KVRX-FM, and shares 91.7 with KOOP-FM, Austin Co-op radio. We broadcast through Real Audio web-casting 24 hours a day and we are on FM, Mondays through Fridays, 7 p.m. till 9 a.m. and Saturdays and Sundays, from 10 p.m. till 9 a.m. To listen online, goto www.kvrx.org. We feature underground music with an emphasis on new releases, Texas artists, blues, jazz, folk, World, Reggae, and hip-hop music. Programming includes campus, local and national news and sports, and community affairs. More than 215 students are involved with KVRX-FM. It is required on each two-hour program to include 2 Texas artists. Texas programming includes Local Live , which airs Sundays 10 p.m.-11p.m. featuring a local band live in the studio. We put out compilations from these recordings. We also sponsor live music shows in town regularly. If you are interested in submitting your music to the station, please do not email the music department. Instead, send a CD of your full-length album / EP (no singles) to our mailing address at KVRX Student Radio, P.O. Box D, Austin, TX 78713.