The Texas Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities (GCPD) in accordance with its enabling statute, Title 7 Chapter 131, Sec. 115.009.(3), respectfully submits this report to the Governor and to the 85th Texas Legislature on recommended changes in state laws relating to persons with disabilities. GCPD recommends changes in disability policies and programs in the areas of accessibility, communication, education, emergency preparedness, health, housing, recreation, transportation, veterans and workforce.
Full Policy Document
The full document is available in an accessible Word version and as a PDF:
- Policy Recommendations for 2018-2019 and 85th Legislative Session (Word Document)
- Policy Recommendations for 2018-2019 and 85th Legislative Session (PDF Document)
During the 83rd Legislative Session, HB 1545 was passed which required the Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities (GCPD) to conduct an interim study regarding the use of certain public transportation services by people with disabilities. Specifically, the Committee was tasked with the responsibility to identify:
- The feasibility of standardizing the process of certifying an individual’s eligibility for services in the state; and
- Whether the current 21-day provision of services by a provider is adequate to meet the needs of visitors with disabilities to locations served by the provider.
The Committee conducted two web-based surveys (one for paratransit providers, and one for Texans with disabilities), and held an accessible public hearing at the State Capitol on the charges of the interim study. The online surveys, in English and Spanish, were sent out through various virtual channels including emails lists and a GovDelivery format. There were 568 Texans who self-identified as a person with a disability who provided input for the Paratransit Rider survey. In addition, we received input from 266 Texans who indicated they do not have a disability but were familiar with paratransit services. A number of these responses came from family members, disability advocates, or professionals in the field of disability issues. The Committee heard from 13 people at the public hearing in July of 2014. The subsequent data analysis and report was submitted on January 1, 2015 as required by HB 1545.
The interim report is available in an accessible Word version and as a PDF:
- Interim Report: A Study Regarding the Use of Certain Public Transportation Services by Persons with Disabilities (Word Document)
- Interim Report: A Study Regarding the Use of Certain Public Transportation Services by Persons with Disabilities (PDF Document)
- How to follow a bill through Texas Legislature Online
- Set up bill alerts for activity through Texas Legislature Online
- Texas Legislature Online mobile device support
- To view live and archived broadcasts of House Chamber & Committee work
- To view live and archived broadcasts of Senate Chamber & Committee work
- GCPD Disability Key Law Resources