Locations Scout Workshop
What is a Location Scout?
Do you enjoy exploring geography or cityscapes? Would you like to put your imagination to use by discovering buildings and properties that can be used as a film set? Do you enjoy meeting and working with all kinds of people? You may be a great Location Scout. Locations Scouts are among the first persons hired to a production. They find, photograph, and secure shooting locations based on the script and requests of production. Scouts also negotiate the rental fees for locations, obtain the proper filming permits from governmental agencies, and travel a great deal.
About the Workshop
The workshop is a one-day course, taught by experienced Locations department professionals, that gives you the skills needed to hit the ground running and find locations for productions to shoot in Texas.
The workshop includes topics such as:
- the details of a Location Scout’s responsibilities and tricks of the trade.
- overview of the responsibilities of the Location Manager
- skills to make contact and find locations;
- photography/computer work and web research to build location files;
- presenting location options to clients/production team;
- making the “ask” to property owners;
- working with contracts and other paperwork;
- building relationships with local governments, film commissions, agencies and contacts;
- on-set responsibilities;
- and wrapping up the location after the shoot.
In addition to training, the workshop is designed to introduce the participants to a Locations professional who can direct them to industry contacts for finding employment. Participants who complete the training will have learned the nuts and bolts of Location Scouting and the tools to develop those duties into a career. Upon completing the workshop, participants receive a Locations Scout Workshop Training Certificate from the Texas Film Commission.
Past Location Workshops & Our Partners
- Austin - Austin School of Film
- San Antonio - San Antonio College
- Dallas - Women in Film.Dallas/AFI Dallas
- Lubbock - Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts
- El Paso - El Paso Community College