Austin PBS Producer
- Project Type: Industry
- Pay Status: Paid
- Production Company / Studio: Austin PBS
- Location: Austin
- Shooting Schedule: Full-Time
Austin PBS seeks an experienced producer to facilitate station studio productions. Must be able to function in a high-pressure environment and be part of a creative media team. Applicants should demonstrate a background in Television and/or digital production, as well as a mastery of required skills. Will report to the VP of Production.
At Austin PBS, you’ll do meaningful work with a team of passionate coworkers. Our award-winning shows include Austin City Limits, Central Texas Gardener, Overheard with Evan Smith, and Decibel, as well as countless special productions and events. We offer a supportive and collaborative work environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Produce (and possibly direct) television series, studio productions and other special programs. In particular, produce the station's long-running talk show series OVERHEARD WITH EVAN SMITH and other public affairs/community affairs focused content.
- Collaborate with the VP of Production and others from the station in selecting story ideas, developing program concepts, and deciding how the technical aspects of a production should be executed.
- Create and maintain relationships with community partners and outside organizations, PR agencies and nonprofits.
- Research program content; research, contact & schedule studio guests; and gather graphics or research materials.
- Arrange productions from initial contact through completion, including logistics of location shooting, scheduling equipment & personnel, and collaborating with interviewees to determine best set-up.
- Work closely with production management to schedule studio, editing, and personnel for upcoming productions.
- Interpret script, rehearse with talent and crew, and establish program pace to maintain time requirements.
- Able to instruct crew from control room to communicate desired effects such as dissolves, wide shots, fade-outs, etc
- Log footage and prepare story outlines and scripts for edit sessions. Work with editor on fine-tuning graphics, transitions and edits
- Collaborate with web and social teams on website content for productions.
- Notify Programming and Marketing departments regarding monthly schedules and program description and promotional material
- Maintain files including records and releases relevant to shows produced.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in video, photography, journalism, or other similar related fields (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to deal and interact with famous guests (Presidential candidates, Oscar winners, et cetera) as well as local figures
- Informed in a wide range of topics beyond current events, including culture, local government and public policy
- Personal integrity, fairness and the credibility needed to gain trust across all levels of an organization
- Comfort with teleconferencing software like Zoom or Google Meet
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Five years experience in television producing, news gathering or relevant field
Knowledge & Skills:
- Supervise Studio and Remote Production Crews and Talent
Preferred but not required
- Experience writing in AP Style
- Exhibit an understanding of public media mission and values
Essential Job Functions
- Frequently appear in front of a camera for periods of 30 minutes or longer
- Regularly operate computer and phone equipment
- Regularly interact and exchange information with others, both verbal and written
This is a full time salaried position that is currently hybrid. Annual salary of $65,000.
Austin PBS, KLRU-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
$65,000 per year
Project posted February 15, 2023