TALA, Fresh Arts and Austin Music Foundation present: The Art of Taxes Part I
February 17, 2021 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
About the Event:
Join Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (TALA), Fresh Arts and Austin Music Foundation as they present the popular annual seminar, now a two-part online webinar featuring two CPA’s. Join them for both nights to get the complete content.
It’s important to be up to date with information that impacts your tax liability. With many artists receiving SBA funding, Texas unemployment, and other emergency relief aid, the 2020 tax season brings new questions and concerns. They’ll cover this new content plus provide other tax tips.
Structured with artists in mind, this seminar is designed to walk you through your tax return, addressing common artist concerns and important IRS regulations pertaining to creative practices.
Part 1 on February 17 will cover:
- What it means to be self-employed/independent contractor
- Business structure overview
- Keeping records of income and expenses
- Forms 1099 and W-9
- Combination of W-2 and 1099 tax reporting
- Business v Hobby rules as applied to tax
- How to report unemployment, PPP loans, and relief aid on individual tax returns. (Will also be covered in part 2)