Program Specialist (Program Specialist II)
Job #: 2020-03
- TWC Job #: 13814202
- Opening Date: 9/06/2019
- Travel Required: Up to 5%
- Monthly Salary: $3,500.00-$4,200.00
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B18
- Class: 1571
Military Occupational Specialist Codes that may be applicable to this position: 1492, 82A0Y,8G100, 3450, 003757, 003764, 003768, 0111, 0431, 1A071C, 3051, 7041
In order to qualify for this position a State of Texas Applications must be submitted through Work In Texas. The OOG requires all sections of the state application to be completed.
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
The Program Specialist reports to the Director of Business and Community Development (BCD) in the Economic Development and Tourism Division (EDT) within the Office of the Governor (OOG). Performs a broad range of moderately complex (journey-level) administrative, technical, and program support duties to Assists BCD functions and staff. Coordinates procurement, contracts, disbursements, and special projects and assignments with staff and external organizations, when appropriate. Demonstrates efficiency, superior customer focus, and strong interpersonal effectiveness whether communicating with others over the telephone or in person. Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Responds to high number of complex and routine information requests — both written and oral.
- Develops and maintains filing, recordkeeping, and records management systems.
- Handles sensitive documentation/information and maintains confidentiality and integrity of data at all times.
- Maintains contract files and manages a BCD document tracking system, ensuring orderly recordkeeping systems and adherence to records retention policies.
- Coordinates meetings, events, and conferences.
- Assists in the preparation of materials for meetings, events, conferences, and special projects, as needed. Assists in planning and development, procurement, organization, and gathering and shipping of materials.
- Prepares and reconciles financial records for BCD, preparing regular and ad hoc reports, as requested.
- Reconciles and approves financial invoices for payment by Financial Services.
- Prepares purchase requisitions, bid specifications, contracts, and related financial documents.
- Monitors the work of contractors involved with providing services for BCD initiatives.
- Acts as a customer service representative to explain and provide technical assistance on agency programs.
- Assists staff in data collection, organization and/or preparation of materials in response to requests for program information.
- Assists staff in determining trends and resolving technical problems.
- Assists staff in the preparation of disbursement documents.
- Prepares administrative reports, and assists with program area functions, operations and with the development of plans to initiate and address areas of concern.
- Assists in the development of administrative policies and procedures.
- Monitors and reviews compliance with program policies and procedures, statutes, and rules for assigned program(s).
- Provides administrative and technical assistance to BCD staff, including maintaining files, contacts, and calendars, as directed.
- Serves as a back-up Public Information Request coordinator for BCD.
- Serves as back up for front desk coverage.
- Demonstrates subject matter expertise, professional confidence, and clarity when representing the office.
- Maintains regular attendance and may work extended hours, as needed.
- Trains others, as needed.
- Remains well informed of division and OOG initiatives, operations, news releases, web content, programs, statewide trends, and OOG policies and procedures.
- May recommend and coordinate activities to produce a more effective program.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university, plus two (2) years’ experience in administrative support, office work, program support, or customer service-related positions. Regular and reliable attendance is required. Experience and education may be substituted for each other on a year-for-year basis.
Preferred Qualifications: Bilingual in Spanish. Prior experience with multi-line phone system.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
- Knowledge of office practices and administrative procedures.
- Skill in gathering and analyzing accurate and relevant information.
- Skill in providing outstanding customer service to internal and external customers.
- Skill in written and verbal communication.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment, personal computers and software applications.
- Skill in using Microsoft Suite Software such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel and the ability to create spreadsheets and presentations.
- Skill in inventory control, planning and general organization.
- Skill in attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and confidence in stressful situations.
- Ability to implement administrative procedures and to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and train others, as needed.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise initiative and creativity.
- Ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment in making critical decisions.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, set up conference rooms for meetings, etc. Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time. Must be able to lift, grasp, bend, overhead reach and kneel as required to perform repetitive duties, keyboarding, filing and other related office support duties. Demonstrates sustained knowledge of safe work practices Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate data in a variety of formats, including hard copy, electronic and media formats. Must have stamina to work a regular 8-hour work day and to work extended hours, as needed. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit www.sss.gov. Applicants may obtatin a copy of the Agency's Equal Employment Opportunity Utilization Report upon request.
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor’s Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.