Administrative Assistant (Administrative Assistant II)
Job #: 2021-11
- TWC Job #: 14263779
- Opening Date: 11/19/2020
- Travel Required: N/A
- Monthly Salary: $2,500.00-$3,333.00/month
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: A11
- Class: 0152
Veterans, Reservists or members of the Guard with a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) code of 42A – Human Resources Specialist, YN – Yeoman, PS – Personnel Specialist, 0111 – Administrative Specialist, 3F5X1 – Administration or other related fields may meet the minimum requirements for this position and are highly encouraged to apply.
In order to qualify for this position a State of Texas Applications must be submitted through Work In Texas. The OOG requires all sections of the state application to be completed.
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
Only interviewed applicants will receive notice of the final disposition of the selection process.
This Administrative Assistant is hired to work within the Office of the Governor’s, Appointments Division reporting to the Director of Appointments. Greets visitors and answers incoming calls for the Division. Performs routine (journey-level) clerical and administrative office support related activities. Manages schedule for the Director. Work involves confidential and sensitive correspondence and communications. Work requires contact with middle and high-level managers, and requires extensive contact with the public. This position requires initiative and discretion. Requires a disciplined, highly dependable individual. Early morning and/or evening hours frequently required. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
- Provides assistance to the public and answers questions on agency services and functions.
- Performs administrative, office and/or clerical support duties as assigned within the Appointments Division.
- Performs general office duties such as ordering supplies, maintenance requests, and tracking leave schedule for division staff.
- Accepts, logs and efficiently routes mail.
- Performs timely and accurate data entry into the office database.
- Performs filing and maintains well-organized and secure filing systems.
- Assists with inventory and classification of division files according to the Office of the Governor Records Retention Schedule.
- Assists with responding to Public Information Requests received by division.
- Assists with drafting and editing of governmental appointments related press releases; responsible for completing follow up with new appointees and the retention of press documents for the division.
- Assists on special projects.
- Establishes and maintains a regular attendance record.
- Maintains regular work schedule.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Four (4) years’ experience as a receptionist with responsibility for responding to multiple phone lines, switchboard duties or as an administrative assistant tasked with providing technical or program support, including office, clerical and customer service.
- Must possess strong communication and computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Note: Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
- Thorough knowledge of automated information tracking systems.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software applications. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of office practices and administrative procedures.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in verbal and written communications.
- Ability to exercise initiative, creativity and broad communication skills.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
Registration, Certification or Licensure
Valid Driver’s License
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
This classification functions in a standard office environment and requires a regular schedule of 8:00 am- 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday or an alternate schedule to be approved by the OOG. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, set up conference rooms for meetings, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate media and grant presentations. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit www.sss.gov. Applicants may obtain a copy of the Agency's Equal Employment Opportunity Utilization Report upon request.
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor’s Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.