Accountant (Accountant III)
Job #: 2018-83
- TWC Job #: 5345443
- Opening Date: 7/27/2018
- Travel Required: NA
- Monthly Salary: $3,081.33 - $4,333.33/mo.
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B17
- Class: 1016
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 36B, 89A, LS, SK. 420, 020, FIN10, 3451, 3408, 8844, 34, 88, 6F0X1, 65AX, 6F, 65
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
This Accountant position is hired to work within the Office of the Governor (OOG), Financial Services Division reporting to the Director of Financial Services. Performs moderately complex junior level accounting work, which includes making transaction entries in multiple accounting systems, preparing reconciliations and work papers supporting the financial statements. Interacts with staff, governmental agencies, and the public. Develops professional working relationships with internal and external customers. Duties are performed under general supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
- Prepares deposit vouchers and makes deposits within the statutory deadline.
- Codes and prepares entries for receipt of funds in the State accounting system and the agency’s internal systems.
- Prepares agency billing invoices. Maintains accounts receivable open file, monitors for delinquent billings, and invoices for overdue payments per agency policy.
- Reviews daily DAFR reports to identify any entries that need to be entered in agency’s internal system.
- Prepares non-profit organizations’ payments on a timely basis. Receiving bills, obtaining authorization to pay and maintaining check registers.
- Prepares and enters assigned entries into the appropriate accounting systems.
- Gathers and maintains relevant daily and weekly bank rates.
- Maintains, files and stores accounting records per state retention rules.
- Assists in document presentation of Annual Financial Report (AFR).
- Lead person on processing Events Trust Fund deposits and reclass.
- PIR coordinator for the Financial Services Division.
- Serves as back-up to accountants as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: (Minimum Qualifications)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience in accounting and financial operations. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework working in accounting, finance, or related field is generally preferred. Five years of accounting experience with the State of Texas is preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of/experience with automated accounting systems.
- Skill in using Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Skill in written and verbal communication.
- Skill in using personal computers.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately process accounting information.
- Ability to accurately follow accounting procedures.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical data and to identify numerical errors.
- Ability to effectively organize information and records including both physical and electronic files.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive as needed. Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time. Will need to occasionally move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, to distribute correspondence, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and/or identify visitors and staff entering the building in person and/or via video monitor or call box. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.