Accounts Payable Accountant (Accountant I)
Job #: 2018-71
- TWC Job #: 7290328
- Opening Date: 5/11/2018
- Travel Required: NA
- Monthly Salary: $2,595.33 - $3,600.00/mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B14
- Class: 1012
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 36B, 89A, LS, SK. 420, 020, FIN10, 3451, 3408, 8844, 34, 88, 6F0X1, 65AX, 6F, 65
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
This Accountant position is hired to work within the Office of the Governor (OOG), Financial Services Division reporting to the Director of Financial Services. Performs entry-level accounting work which includes preparing and processing payment vouchers in accordance with Comptroller’s Prompt Payment Act and OOG’s standard accounting policies and procedures. Responsible for verifying that all necessary and required supporting documentation is available for all purchase of goods/services. Interacts with staff, governmental agencies, and the public. Develops professional working relationships with internal and external customers. Duties are performed under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
- Supports all functions performed within the Financial Services Division.
- Prepares/processes payment vouchers. Ensures all required and proper documentation is attached and verifiable.
- Reconciles and processes OOG’s monthly multi-vendor accounts.
- Answers incoming phone lines; routes calls; assists visitors in the division.
- Receives, date-stamps, records, and distributes incoming mail and invoices.
- Receives, records, and ensures the safekeeping of cash/checks.
- Performs accurate data entry in financial systems.
- Updates the internal tracking system for the status of travel and purchase requisitions. Encumbers all travel orders.
- Maintains filing of both paper and electronic documents.
- Coordinates records retention functions for the division.
- Maintains office supply inventory.
- Assists in the compilation of financial reports.
- May serve as backup to process daily APC report in FIS and distributes check remittances to vendors.
- May assist in Egrants/FIS/USAS vendor verification.
- May serve as backup for processing and auditing travel vouchers.
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Financial Services when needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Experience with accounting or bookkeeping principles. Two years of accounting experience with the State of Texas is preferred. Additional education may be substituted for experience on a year-per-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of accounting records.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, preferably of Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) and MIP.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, preferably of Excel, Word, and Access.
- Skill in the use of office equipment, including the use of a calculator.
- Skill in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to review work for accuracy.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to interpret and apply accounting procedures to transactions.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
This classification functions in a standard office environment. Business hours of operation are M-F, 8-5. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to work extended hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.