Advance Representative (Administrative Assistant IV) 2 Positions
Job #: 2018-67
- TWC Job #: 5317496
- Opening Date: 4/27/2018
- Travel Required: 65%
- Monthly Salary: $3,333.34 - $4,000.00 /mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: A15
- Class: 0156
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 42A, 92A, AZ, LS, MC, PS, RP, YN, 641LDO, 741CWP, YN, 360, 0111, 6046, 01, 6042, 3A, 3A1X1, 8A200
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
The Advance Assistant reports to the Director of Scheduling and is hired to assist in researching and planning of appropriate sites for state policy events. Works collaboratively with other Advance Assistants and other agency staff to plan, coordinate and assist with event site selection, crowd control and staff briefings. Maintains strictest confidentiality and demonstrates ethical judgment in conducting business on behalf of the Office of the Governor. As a member of the Governor’s Scheduling and Advance team, the incumbent frequently works on-call and must be available, including on short notice and in crises. This is a non-exempt position. Demonstrates sustained awareness of the Governor’s calendar, contacts and events as necessary to effectively fulfill scheduling and advance activities.
- Assists the Division Director and other division staff in researching and planning site selection for special events, meetings, and all other internal and external activities for the Governor as authorized. Plans and coordinates accommodations, transportation, facilities, catering, signage, displays, translation, audio-visual equipment, printing and security as required for seamless events. Works with event organizers on logistics and event schedules. May assist in monitoring event expenses and/or budgets as directed.
- Assists with crowd control and media accessibility at events.
- Communicates, documents and relays information clearly to others and consistently follows complex instructions.
- Effectively coordinates the availability of equipment, transportation, displays, and other business needs.
- Confers with staff at designated event and/or meeting sites in order to understand, coordinate and expedite all related details; determines special requirements, including for the Governor and location staff.
- Handles all related calls and prepares business correspondence as required to fulfill the assigned duties. May prepare reports and executive briefings.
- Responds to Executive staff inquiries relative to the site selection. Consults and communicates with other agency staff as required to successfully perform advance duties.
- May assist the Executive Office in evaluating select providers, venues and location staff.
- May perform travel aide responsibilities for the Governor when necessary.
- May train other staff.
- Adheres to regular and reliable attendance standards.
- Assists with scheduling assistant duties when necessary.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
The preferred candidate for this position is a college graduate with one year of executive, campaign and/or elected official scheduling comparable to the duties performed in this position description. Additional related scheduling experience for a chief executive level incumbent preferred. Demonstrates proficiency in use of a personal computer and software applications in a Windows environment with Microsoft Office Suite products. Experience and education may be substituted for each other on a year-for-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of state government.
- Skill in organization.
- Skill in communication.
- Ability to research.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively with agency personnel and the public.
- Ability to exercise initiative, creativity and broad communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to analyze.
- Ability to travel frequently, 65%, (i.e., weekly-monthly) under normal conditions for long distances.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to view invoices and written communications and marketing plans. Must be able to work hours that can include holidays and as needed.