Appointments Manager (Program Specialist IV)
Job #: 2018-66
- TWC Job #: 3573905
- Travel Required: NA
- Monthly Salary: $3,763.00 - $6,149.00/mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B20
- Class: 1573
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 35F, 712X, 040, 0231, 60C0
Omission of data on the state application is grounds for disqualification of the application.
Serves as Special Assistant in the Office of the Governor’s Office of Governmental Appointments reporting to the Director of Governmental Appointments. Work involves planning, developing, and implementing Appointments Office related programs and providing consultative services to agency staff, state agencies and the general public. Requires a disciplined, detail oriented, and highly dependable individual capable of performing efficiently and multi-tasking in a fast-paced, heavy pressure environment. Works under general supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Serves as Special Assistant in the Office of Governmental Appointments and serves as appointments manager for various boards and commissions.
- Provides exceptional service to applicants, appointees and general public.
- Analyzes and interprets state statutes and legislation pertaining to boards and commissions
- Responsible for recruitment, interviewing, vetting candidates and identifying potential appointees
- Monitors and evaluates current appointees on the boards and commissions they manage.
- Tracks and organizes all upcoming appointment vacancies in the boards and commissions they manage.
- Establishes short- and long-term goals and objectives; prioritizes and manages a consistently heavy flow of tasks in order to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Maintains regular work schedule.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in business administration, management, human resources, government, public administration or related field plus two (2) years progressively responsible executive administration experience. Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of accepted business practices, principles and procedures involved in providing services.
- Knowledge of office practices and administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of intergovernmental relations.
- Knowledge of the legislative process.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of automated information tracking systems
- Skill in the use of office equipment.
- Skill in business telephone etiquette and multi-line phone system.
- Skill in written and verbal communication.
- Skill in organization
- Skill in customer service.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to handle high level administrative issues.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively.
- Ability to maintain multiple tracking and filing systems in both hard copy and electronic formats.
- Ability to consistently exercise tact and courtesy.
- Ability to serve as resource for new staff
Registration, Certification or Licensure: None
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, set up conference rooms for meetings, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate media and grant presentations. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed. Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation. Work with overlapping projects and deadlines. Work as a team member. Have direct customer contact. Work with sensitive and confidential information.