Press Assistant (Administrative Assistant III)
Job #: 2018-34
- TWC Job #: 3525718
- Opening Date: 11/07/2017
- Travel Required: NA
- Monthly Salary: $3,166.67 – $3,500.00/mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: A13
- Class: 0154
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 42A, 92A, AZ, LS, MC, PS, RP, YN, 641LDO, 741CWP, YN, 360, 0111, 6046, 01, 6042, 3A, 3A1X1, 8A200
The Press Assistant position is hired to work within the Office of the Governor (OOG), Communications Division. Skillfully performs, schedules and coordinates a variety of complex administrative, clerical and office support duties. Ensures seamless administrative and daily office operations, including effective management of information, files, records, business correspondence, office supplies and equipment, travel and schedules. Demonstrates discretion, sound judgment, strict confidentiality and a high degree of initiative as required to independently prioritize assignments, multi-task and meet deadlines while working in a cohesive team environment.
- Provides superior administrative, office and clerical support, including production of correspondence, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets and reports.
- Facilitates communication and dissemination of information among Communication Division staff as authorized, and between the OOG and the general public, including telephone support and mailings.
- Drafts and coordinates the release of media materials.
- Assists in processing information, including travel expenses, timesheets, and purchase orders.
- Monitors and maintains adequate and well-organized office supplies, materials and equipment. Performs inventory and property management support duties as required.
- Manages office systems and databases including maintaining secure centralized administrative files, mailing lists, databases and shared files.
- Timely files, copies, distributes, and otherwise processes business records, documents and mail.
- Manages, organizes, schedules, and supports logistics and administrative details of agency meetings, calendars and press conferences.
- Provides administrative support for special events, projects and crises, including evening, weekends and/or holidays as needed.
- Assists in identifying, operating, and troubleshooting new office systems and technologies.
- May assist in orienting or training other staff.
- May assist in drafting and/or responding to media responses as directed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in journalism, communications, business administration, government, public administration or a related field. Two (2) years of administrative or program support experience in a high-volume customer service environment, or technical program area preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for each other on a year-for-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Thorough knowledge of automated information tracking systems.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software applications.
- Knowledge of office practices and administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of social media practices.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in proofreading.
- Skill in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to exercise initiative and creativity.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive and travel as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, reach into overhead bins on airplanes, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and evaluate media presentations. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.