Systems Administrator (Systems Administrator VI)
Job #: 2018-25
- TWC Job #: 3036675
- Opening Date: 10/09/2017
- Travel Required: n/a
- Monthly Salary: $5,784.58-$6,000.00/mo
- Position Location: Austin, Texas
- Group Step: B26
- Class: 0315
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 25, IT, 88, 25N, 255N, 2651
Serves as Systems Analyst within the Office of the Governor’s Computer Services Division (CSD). Manages, administers and performs highly complex technical work on all aspects of the Office of the Governor’s computer environment. Work is performed under the direction of the Information Technology Director with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
- Administers and maintains Microsoft Windows domain environment
- Assists CSD management in planning, coordinating and monitoring projects
- Evaluates potential enhancements to the network and computing environment as directed by management
- Provides technical support and training for agency staff
- Supports the installation and repair of computer hardware, software and peripherals
- Installs and tests hardware and software and performs routine maintenance and vendor updates
- Assists in developing CSD policies and procedures
- Oversees training of staff prior to implementation of systems
- Provides budget recommendations for operating systems
- Maintains regular work schedule
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications (Minimum Qualifications)
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in computer science or related field plus six (6) years progressively responsible professional experience in the support, maintenance and troubleshooting of computer software and hardware in a large network environment. Experience administering Microsoft Windows domain environment. Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of email systems and concepts (routing, filtering, protocols, etc.).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows domain environments (domain controllers, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy, etc.)
- Knowledge of the practices, principles, and techniques of computer operation; of information systems; computer software and hardware; information security policies and procedures; help desk environment, local and wide area networks, database administration, and management of information systems.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems theory, industry standards and applications.
- Knowledge of VMWare preferred
- Skill in administering Microsoft Exchange 2007/2013
- Skill in migrating Microsoft Exchange environments to Office 365
- Skill in administering Office 365
- Skill in administering Microsoft Windows domains
- Skill in communicating technical material to others.
- Skill in the use and support of personal computers in applicable programs and systems.
- Skill in troubleshooting information systems.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in supporting users in a large network environment.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to operate, troubleshoot and repair information technology systems and equipment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds including office equipment and furniture.
- Ability to install and test hardware and software.
Registration, Certification or Licensure
Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 40 lbs. Ability to drive as needed. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. to address or repair IT systems. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and/or identify visitors and staff in person and/or via video monitor. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.