Site MapI. About the TMO
1. History and Purpose
2. La Oficina de Música de Tejas
3. TMO Internships
4. Texas Law and Music
5. State of Texas Music Industry
6. REQUEST INFORMATION
7. Other US music offices
II. Music Business Referral Network
1. A to Z Texas Music Businesses:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
3. Booking Agents
4. CD/DVD Duplication
5. Live Music Venues
6. Music Publishers
7. Musical Instrument Businesses
10. Record Distributors
11. Record Labels
12. Record Stores
13. Online Only Record Stores/Digital Music Distributors
14. Recording Studios and Mastering
15. Rehearsal Studios
16. Sound Reinforcement
III. Music Education
1. Colleges / Universities
2. Libraries / Archives
3. Mariachi Education
(Texas secondary school Mariachi education)
4. Young Masters grant
5. TX Commission on the Arts TX Music Project
6. Foundation Libraries
IV. Events CalendarBing Google Yahoo
Texas music in the blogs via: Google Meltwater
Texas bands in the blogs via: Meltwater
Texas music on Twitter
1. Texas Talent Register A-Z
(8,195 Texas musical acts)
A B C D E F G H I J K L Ma-Mm
Mn-Mz N O P Q R Sa-Sm Sn-Sz
T U V W X Y Z
2. Mariachi Talent
3. Classical Talent
4. Grammy Winners (147 winners; 293 awards)
5. 59th Grammy Award Nominees
6. Americana Music Awards Winners
VII. Business Guides
1. Available Sales and Use Tax Exemptions
2. TABC Regulations & Tax Requirements for Venues / Special Events
3. Creating a Presskit
4. Getting Started in Entertainment Law
5. Guide to Music-related Insurance
6. Copyrights / Trademarks
7. Books/Publications - Suggested Reading
8. Booking Concerts & Tours
9. Starting a Record Label
10. Finding Capital
11. SIC to NAICS conversion
12. Notes for Songwriters / Songwriters' Groups
13. Digital Distribution Common Terminology
14. Finding a Digital Music Distributor
15. Licensing How-to
16. Indie Band Packet
17. Notes for Young Artists
18. Finding Musicians For Your Band
19. Guide to Publicizing A Music Event
20. Guide to Social Media for Musicians & Music Businesses
21. Guide to Misappropriation and Right of Publicity
22. Guide to Touring in China
23. Guide to Podcasts
24. What Every Bar & Restaurant Owner Should Know About Playing Music In Their Establishment
25. How to Make Money on YouTube
26. Recording Academy's Album Credit Requirements
27. Bo Porter - Music Business Thoughts & Advice
VIII. Getting Started in the Music Business
(a reference guide to basic legal and business practices in TX)
Make Your Band Your Business
- Type of Businesses
- What Type of Business is Right For Our Band?
- Do We Need to Get A Business License?
- Do we pay taxes on the band's income?
- What tax procedures do we follow?
- What tax forms should we use?
- Do we have to pay sales tax on merchandise we sell at gigs?
What are trademarks?
- Will we lose our name if we don't register a trademark?
- What if we find out that another group has a registered trademark for our name?
- How do we register our trademark?
Management and Attorneys
- What do managers do?
- When should we hire a manager?
- What are the common mistakes that artists make when looking for management?
- What are some common managerial mistakes?
- When should we hire an attorney?
- What if we can't afford attorney's fees?
- What are copyrights?
- How long do copyrights last?
- If our band co-wrote all the songs, who owns the copyrights?
- How can I get copyright protection for my songs?
- How do I register a copyright?
- Should we register every song or the whole album?
- Do we need to use a copyright symbol on our albums?
- What is copyright infringement?
- How can I get permission to "cover" a song?
- Do I need a license to sample a track?
- Can I really use eight notes from a song without a license?
- Is my sampling protected under “Fair Use?”
- I want to use a sample, but the copyright holder refuses to clear the sample or else wants too much money; do I have any other options?
- I’m going to use an un-cleared sample anyway; how can I best protect myself?
- Is there any material I may sample from without seeking a license?
- How do I obtain a license to use copyrighted music?
- How do I research who owns a copyright?
- What is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act?
- Someone is infringing my copyrighted work; what do I do?
- I have received a DMCA notice and my content has been taken down; what should I do now?
- Guidelines for submitting copyrighted work to websites and online services.
- Am I giving up any licensing rights by submitting my work to a particular site?
- What is music publishing?
- What do music publishers do?
- What are performing rights societies?
- How do I affiliate with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC?
- What is Sound Exchange?
- What is the ISRC?
- What is the Harry Fox Agency?
- Should I create my own publishing company or go with an established publisher?
- If I am not satisfied with the publisher, can I get my copyrights back?
- How do I set up my own publishing company?
- How is music licensed for TV and films?
- How can I get my music into movies, commercials, computer games, and such?
IX. Radio / Press
2. Texas or Local Radio Shows
3. Radio Stations programming Country
4. Radio Stations programming R&B/Rap/Hip Hop
5. Radio Stations programming Rock & Roll
6. Radio Stations programming Tejano/Latin
7. Radio Stations programming Christian/Gospel
8. College Radio Stations
Numbers listed in parenthesis refer to the number of listings in each section.