Permits & Procedures Relevant to Filmmakers and Game Developers


Child Labor

Laws and regulations for resident and non-resident child actors and extras under the age of 18 working in Texas.

Contract Labor vs. Employee Status

Information about hiring film crews.

Texas Talent Agency Act

Effective September 1, 2011, Texas no longer requires talent agencies in Texas to obtain licenses from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Please see our Production FAQ for more information.

Filming with Drones

Online resources regarding filming with drones.


Workers’ Compensation

Information about Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage in Texas.

Pyrotechnic & Flame Effect Licensing

Rules for individuals working with pyrotechnic devices and flame effects.

Transporting Commercial Motor Vehicles into Texas

How to bring certain commercial vehicles in to Texas for production purposes.

Rabies Quarantine

Information on transporting coyotes, raccoons and foxes into Texas.

Filming on Roads

How to use a road, street or public right-of-way during production.

Filming on State Properties

How to use a state-owned locations for production.


Sales Tax Exemptions

Information on using sales tax exemptions for items and services used in production.

Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemptions

Requirements for having hotel occupancy taxes waived.

Tax Refunds on Fuels Used Off Road

Rules for obtaining fuel tax refunds.

Reselling of Props, Costumes & Other Items

Requirements for reselling items used in production including props, costumes and office furniture.

Texas Production Incentives Job Hotline Film Friendly Texas Video Game & Animation Texas Production Directory Events Calendar


Sign up to get news, updates and opportunities sent to your inbox.