Job #: 2016-66
TWC Job #: 5155966
Opening Date: 7/15/2016
Closing Date: Until Closed
Travel Required: NA
Monthly Salary: *$2,453.25 - $3,039.25
Position Location: 1100 San Jacinto, State Insurance Building Austin, Texas 78701
Group Step: A13
*Salary Commensurate With Experience
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 42A, 92A, AZ, LS, MC, PS, RP, YN, 641LDO, 741CWP, YN, 360, 0111, 6046, 01, 6042, 3A, 3A1X1, 8A200
Position resides within the Tourism section of the Office of the Governor, Economic Development & Tourism Division reporting to the Tourism Director. Assists in the day-to-day operations of the Tourism section. Greets visitors and answers incoming calls for the Tourism section. Performs skilled clerical and administrative office support related Tourism section activities.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions: This classification functions in a standard office environment. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Ability to drive as needed. Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time. Will need to occasionally move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, to distribute correspondence, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to observe and/or identify visitors and staff entering the building in person and/or via video monitor or call box. Must be able to work hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
- Handles incoming telephone calls and greets visitors.
- Drafts written communications for the section.
- Works with Tourism section databases.
- Assists in preparation of Tourism section reports.
- Responsible for the preparation of Division forms such as travel authorizations and travel vouchers, among others.
- Assists with scheduling, correspondence, and cross divisional work.
- Performs general office duties such as ordering supplies, notifying maintenance, tracking employee leave for availability, and shipping of material.
- Reviews mail received by section and distributes.
- Assists with tracking and fulfilling requests for travel information and http://www.TravelTexas.com user comments.
- Assists with records retention related to the section.
- Communicates with state and national Travel industry partners, governmental entities, and other external groups, as directed.
- Assists with section inventory tracking.
- Assists in the planning and coordination of section meetings, conference participation, and other travel industry related events.
- Assists Tourism section staff in planning, coordination, and follow-up related to marketing and public relations activities.
- Assist advertising and research areas of Tourism section as directed.
- Attendance on a regular and punctual schedule.
- Must be able to remain in stationary position for 50% of the time.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Graduate of an accredited college or university plus 2 years of experience providing administrative support or relatable job experience. Must possess strong communication and computer skills. Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality of matters. Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis. Valid Texas drivers’ license for any driving assignments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of office practices and administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software applications.
- Knowledge of applicable governmental laws, rules and regulations.
- Skill in communicating with constituents via telephone and in person.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in record keeping and maintenance.
- Skill in organization and attention to detail.
- Skill in written and verbal communication.
- Skill in the use of a multi-line phone system.
- Skill in using Microsoft Office suite – Excel, PowerPoint, MSWord, Access.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to handle high level administrative issues.
- Ability to consistently exercise tact and courtesy.
- Ability to maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Ability to interpret and follow rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to move about the office access files, office machinery and/or to distribute correspondence.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple task simultaneously.
- Ability to follow directives.
- Ability to research information
- Ability to maintain regular attendance Monday-Friday.
To apply, please visit http://gov.texas.gov/employment/ for instructions on submitting your application. You may download the Texas Workforce Commission State Employment Application or request an application from the Office of the Governor Human Resources Division, State Insurance Building, 1100 San Jacinto, Room 2.300, Austin, Texas, 78701. If required in this posting, copies of college transcripts must be provided concurrent with application for further applicant consideration. For additional information, please call 512- 463-5873, or visit our agency's website. Dial 7-1-1 for Relay Services.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Candidates selected for interviews will be subject to background check and required to complete authorization form.
- E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
- E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
- Right to Work Poster (English)
- Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit: http://www.sss.gov/
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process:
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor's Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.