Accounts Payable Accountant
Job #: 2017-13
TWC Job #: 5180968
Opening Date: 10/17/2016
Closing Date: Until Closed
Travel Required: N/A
Monthly Salary: *2,595.33 - $3,1667.67
Position Location: 1100 San Jacinto, State Insurance Building Austin, Texas 78701
Group Step: B14
*Salary Commensurate With Experience
Military Occupational Specialist codes that may be applicable to this position: 36B, 89A, LS, SK. 420, 020, FIN10, 3451, 3408, 8844, 34, 88, 6F0X1, 65AX, 6F, 65
This Accountant position is hired to work within the Office of the Governor (OOG), Financial Services Division reporting to the Director of Financial Services. Performs entry-level accounting work which includes preparing and processing payment vouchers in accordance with Comptroller’s Prompt Payment Act and OOG’s standard accounting policies and procedures. Responsible for verifying that all necessary and required supporting documentation is available for all purchase of goods/services. Interacts with staff, governmental agencies, and the public. Develops professional working relationships with internal and external customers. Duties are performed under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
Registration, Certification or Licensure: Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
This classification functions in a standard office environment. Business hours of operation are M-F, 8-5. Ability to move up to 35 lbs. Will need to move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to work extended hours during a legislative session that include holidays and as needed.
- Prepares/processes all utilities invoices for both agencies 300 and 301 (cell phones, long distance (Century-Linked), copiers, and Federal Express). Ensures all required and proper documentation is attached and verifiable.
- Prepares/processes all agency 301 contracts and fee invoices. Ensures all required and proper documentation is attached and verifiable.
- Lead person on processing Events Trust Fund payment requests.
- Updates the internal tracking system for the status of travel and purchase requisitions.
- Encumbers all approved travel orders in FIS.
- May serve as backup to reconcile and process OOG’s monthly car rental accounts with Enterprise and AVIS.
- May serve as backup to process daily APC report in FIS and distributes check remittances to vendors.
- May assist in Egrants FIS/USAS verification
- May assist in processing and auditing travel vouchers.
- Backup coordinator as records retention functions for the division.
- May serve as backup to maintain filing of both paper and electronic documents.
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Financial Services when needed.
- Maintains regular work schedule.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Experience with accounting or bookkeeping principles. Two year of accounting experience with the State of Texas is preferred. Additional education may be substituted for experience on a year-per-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of accounting records.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, preferably of Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) and MIP.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, preferably of Excel, Word, and Access.
- Skill in the use of office equipment, including the use of a calculator.
- Skill in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to review work for accuracy.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to interpret and apply accounting procedures to transactions.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
To apply, please visit http://gov.texas.gov/employment/ for instructions on submitting your application. You may download the Texas Workforce Commission State Employment Application or request an application from the Office of the Governor Human Resources Division, State Insurance Building, 1100 San Jacinto, Room 2.300, Austin, Texas, 78701. If required in this posting, copies of college transcripts must be provided concurrent with application for further applicant consideration. For additional information, please call 512- 463-5873, or visit our agency's website. Dial 7-1-1 for Relay Services.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Candidates selected for interviews will be subject to background check and required to complete authorization form.
- E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
- E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
- Right to Work Poster (English)
- Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit: http://www.sss.gov/
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process:
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor's Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.