- Provides protection against discrimination in housing, rental, and sale, based on mental or physical disability.
- Requires owners to permit a person with a disability to make a reasonable modification necessary for use and enjoyment at the person with the disability's own expense.
- Requires property owners to make reasonable modifications to policies, rules, practices and services that allow a person with a disability equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.
- Requires basic access of multi-family dwellings (apartments) built after March 13, 1991 with
- four or more units if the building has an elevator; or
- four or more units without an elevator (ground floor units to be accessible).
- Requires that single-family "affordable" housing constructed with State or federal funds comply with basic accessibility features.
- Requires disclosure by a home seller of previous manufacture of methamphetamine in the home.
- Provides that a purchaser of a one to two family dwelling may require the seller to install smoke detectors for persons with hearing impairments under certain circumstances.
- Requires a landlord, if requested by a tenant, to provide a smoke detector capable of alerting a person with a hearing impairment as an accommodation.
- Allows public improvement districts to use housing funds to rehabilitate or expand affordable housing.
- Requires that individuals residing in a group home be notified if another resident of that group home is a registered sex offender.
- Requires Health and Human Services Commission to provide 2-1-1 with information regarding public or private housing options for people with mental health disabilities and establishes the 2-1-1 website as the single point of access through which a person may learn about how or where to apply for housing.
- Requires local mental health authority to provide information about all available housing sources, including residential services of state supported living center, community intermediate care facility programs, and waiver services under Section 1915(c) of the federal Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. Section 1396n(c)).
- Texas Fair Housing Act (single-family):
Texas Property Code, Chapter 301
- Texas Fair Housing Act (Subsidized Housing):
Local Government Code, Section 392.006
- Accessibility Features in Single-Family Affordable Housing:
Texas Government Code, Section 2306.514
- Methamphetamine Manufacture
Texas Property Code, Section 5.008(b)
- Smoke Detectors
Texas Health and Safety Code, Section 766.0021
- Smoke Detector for Hearing Impaired Persons
Texas Property Code Section 92.254, Subsection (a-1)
- Expanding Affordable Housing
Local Government Code, Section 372.003
- Sex Offender Notification
Texas Health and Safety Code, Section 325
- Access to Housing Information
Texas Government Code, Section 531.0313
Texas Health and Safety Code, Section 533.038
Relevant Federal Laws