Texas Disability Law - Service Dogs
- Requires public facilities and common transportation carriers to admit a person with a disability accompanied by a service dog for assistance and also to admit a trainer of service dogs accompanied by a dog for training purposes.
- Requires evacuation, transport and temporary shelter of service animals in a disaster.
- Provides a criminal penalty for those who deny access to people with disabilities because of an assistance animal. Offenses are punishable by fines of not more than $300 and 30 hours of community service.
- Provides full and equal access to housing accommodations for people with disabilities with assistance animals.
- Provides that people with disabilities may not be charged extra compensation for assistance animals, however, any damages caused by an assistance animal are the responsibility of the person with a disability using the animal.
- State employees may obtain up to ten days of paid leave to attend a training program to familiarize themselves with an assistance dog.
- Provides protection if an assistance animal is attacked, injured or killed by an individual or an individual's animal.
- Provides that people with disabilities may not be required to show proof of certification for their service animal. Public establishments may only ask if the service animal is required because the person has a disability and what type of work the service animal is trained to perform.
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.003 - 121.006
- Assistance Animal Defined:
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.002
Texas Government Code, Section 418.043
- Protection Against Attack:
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.003(j)
Texas Penal Code, Chapter 42, Section 42.091
- State Employees:
Texas Government Code, Section 661.910
- Food Establishments:
Health and Safety Code, Section 437.023
- Service Dog Law Related to Veterans with PTSD:
Veterans and Bootz's Law Video
Contact local law enforcement agencies to report violations of this law.
For information about training organizations contact:
Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
- ADA Business BRIEF: Service Animals
Americans with Disabilities Act:
U.S. Department of Justice
(800) 514-0301; (800) 514-0383 (TTY)
- Fair Housing Act of 1988:
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
800) 669-9777 or (202) 708-1112; (202)-708-1455 (TTY)
- Department of Transportation
(800) 778-4838 (voice) or (800) 455-9880 (TTY)
Guidance regarding Service Animals in Air Travel
- Service Animals in Health Care Facilities