Budget and Policy Offices
The Statewide Budget and Policy Divisions work jointly to assist the Governor in formulating and implementing state policy by coordinating with state agencies, the Legislature, and various constituents and stakeholder groups. Throughout the legislative session, the Divisions analyze each piece of legislation and make recommendations to the Governor.
The Statewide Budget Division provides fiscal information and analysis in support of the Governor’s statutory role as the state’s chief budget officer. It advises the Governor on the state’s fiscal condition, recommends fiscal policies to the Governor, and prepares the Governor’s state biennial budget and distributes it to the Legislature. Other budget activities include approving agency requests to enter into contracts with consultants and reviewing agency budget and other submissions required by law. In conjunction with the Legislative Budget Board (LBB), the Budget Division coordinates the state agency strategic planning process, issues budget instructions to state agencies, and conducts hearings on agency budget requests.
The Governor and the LBB have budget execution authority to manage the state’s appropriations while the Legislature is not in session. Budget execution authority permits the state to reallocate existing appropriations for fiscal emergencies that occur between legislative sessions. The Texas Government Code, Section 317, authorizes either the Governor or the LBB to propose budget execution actions. In this process, the Statewide Budget Division analyzes the identified budget emergency and may propose alternatives that include the transfer of appropriations from one state agency to another, the use of agency appropriations for another purpose, or a change in the timing of an agency appropriation. For an item to be approved, the Governor and the LBB must concurrently approve the original or modified proposal.
Each agency is assigned a policy advisor and budget advisor who is available to provide assistance to the agency.
- Governor’s Proposed State Budgets
- Annual Report of Nonfinancial Data Instructions and Worksheet Templates
- Agency Budget Instructions
- Statewide Cost Allocation Plans
- Operating Budget Instructions
- Consultant Contract Guidelines
- Annual Federal Funds Report
Governor’s Proposed State Budgets
- Proposed State Budget for FY 2016-2017 [3MB PDF]
Annual Report of Nonfinancial Data Ending December 31st of Current Year for Instructions and Worksheet Templates*
Section 2101.0115, Government Code, was added by Act of May 26, 2001, 77th Leg., R.S. H.B. 2914 and requires state agencies to submit an Annual Report of Nonfinancial Data. This section no longer applies to an institution of higher education or university system. [see Section 2101.0115(d)(4)(e), Government Code, am. Acts 2011, 82nd Leg. (SB 5)]* This report includes nonfinancial schedules previously included in the Annual Financial Report. The Annual Report of Nonfinancial Data is due on December 31, of every calendar year. Instructions for submitting it are provided in the section titled, “How to Submit the Annual Report for Nonfinancial Data.” In addition to the required hard copies, please submit the Annual Report of Nonfinancial Data to the Office of the Governor, Budget Planning and Policy via email at budgetandpolicyreports [at] gov.texas.gov. *This section no longer applies to an institution of Higher Education or University System. [see Section 2101.0115(d)(4)(e), Government Code, am. Acts 2011, 82nd Leg. (SB 5)] ALL OTHER STATE AGENCIES WILL CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THIS REQUEST. If you have any questions please contact Budget, Planning and Policy’s main number at (512) 463-1778.
- Nonfinancial Data Report Instructions [DOC]
- Attachment A [DOC]
- Attachment B [XLS]
- Attachment C [XLS]
- Attachment D [XLS]
- Attachment E [DOC]
- Attachment F [XLS]
- Attachment G2 Filled In [XLS]
- Attachment G [XLS]
Strategic Planning Instructions
- Strategic Plan Instructions [PDF]
- Assessment of Advisory Committees Template [XLS]
- Budget Structure Change Request [DOC]
- Budget Structure Change Request [XLS]
Statewide Cost Allocation Plans
- Summary of Allocated Costs for the Full Cost Allocation Plan, FY 2015 [PDF]
- 2015 Statewide Cost Allocation Plan, Section I Fixed Costs [PDF]
- Summary FY 2015 Full Cost
Consultant Contract Guidelines
Consulting Services Contracts are governed by Texas Government Code, Chapter 2254, Subchapter B. Consistent with Section 2254.028(a)(3), certain state agencies are statutorily-required to ask the Office of the Governor for a "finding of fact" that "consulting services are necessary." In discharging this duty, the Office of the Governor requires specific information and affirmations to be submitted before it will consider the request for a finding of fact.
Annual Federal Funds Report
Senate Bill 59, 83rd Legislature, Regular Session amends section 772.009 of the Texas Government Code requiring that state agencies except institutions of higher education to submit, on an annual basis, the federal grants for which the agency has applied. Please submit the Annual Federal Funds Report to the Office of the Governor, Budget, Planning and Policy via email to budgetandpolicyreports [at] gov.texas.gov. If you have any questions please contact Budget, Planning and Policy’s main number at (512) 463-1778. Please submit federal funds report for the fiscal year by October 31.
Legislative Appropriations Request Instructions
- Policy Letter for Legislative Appropriations Request
- Instructions for State Agencies, Institutions and Agencies of Higher Education
- Appendices 1-8 for State Agencies, Institutions and Agencies of Higher Education
- LAR Submission Schedule
- Certificate of Dual Submission
- 3.A.1. Program-level Requests
- 3.B. Rider Revisions and Additions Request
- 3.D. Sub-strategy Request and 3.E. Sub-strategy Summary
- 6.B. Current Biennium One-time Expenditure Schedule
- 6.H Estimated Total of All Agency Funds Outside the GAA Bill Pattern
- 6.J. Behavioral Health Funding Schedule
- Part 8 Summary of Requests for Capital Project Financing
Institutions and Agencies of Higher Education:
- Instructions for Schedule 1 through Schedule 9
- Examples for Schedule 1 through Schedule 9
- Schedule 6H Estimated Funds Outside the Institutions Bill Pattern
- Schedule 8D Tuition Revenue Bonds Request by Project
Appellate Courts and Judicial Branch Agencies:
Public Community/Junior Colleges: